Yes one the sixth wave of COVID-19 in winter flu season which threatens to be the strongest in years is not enough, a new concern is emerging for researchers and the health sector around the world: tripledemia.
The fear of a triple epidemic already reigns in the United States of America, which in recent weeks has seen an increase in the epidemic activity of COVID-19 and a series of alarming cases respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)or better known as a cold.
Tripledemic, in short, is randomness in the environment of viruses SARS-CoV-2 (which causes COVID-19), from the virus VRS and virus flu.
“We are seeing similar numbers for COVID, influenza and RSV and that is very concerning. because it’s too early for flu and RSV season to start,” Diego Hijano, a pediatric infectious disease specialist at St. John’s Children’s Research Hospital, told the New York Times. Judas.
“It will be a hard winter“, he asserted.
Will Mexico suffer from a triple epidemic?
Although we are in a relatively favorable moment in Mexico regarding COVID-19, it is important to emphasize that in five waves that happened in our country There is precedent for increased epidemic activity in Europe and the US.
Currently, almost all of Europe, as well as some cities in the USA and Canada, have seen a significant increase in infections, so the sixth wave of COVID-19 in Mexico is inevitable.
Furthermore, since it coincides with the progress of autumn and winter, it is very likely from other seasonal acute respiratory infections (such as flu Mr VSR) can cause potentially serious symptoms in vulnerable people, the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) warned a few days ago.
“The fact is that the sixth wave of COVID is coming. This has already started in Europe, and early indications in the United States indicate this; In several cities, they have already started to detect the virus in the drainage, this is the first indicator of the activity of the epidemic”, assured the doctor. Mauricio Rodríguez Alvarezspokesman for UNAM emergency services.
“Here in Mexico, we still have the inertia of stopping by fifth greetingbut we will start to see more activity, little by little and most likely for the end of November let’s start to see increase in the number of cases“, condemned the expert.
Recommendations for tripledemia
Because of the above, UNAM has given a series of recommendations to prevent infection with any of the three diseases:
- Complete the COVID-19 vaccination schedule with appropriate boosters according to age or individual health status. It is recommended that all persons over 60 years of age, as well as persons over 18 years of age with a predisposing disease, and all health workers have two vaccinations. And those over the age of 18 without predisposing diseases have an additional vaccination in addition to their first schedule, regardless of which vaccine(s) they received.
- Use the mask properly when performing activities in closed spaces.
- Permanently ventilate closed areas where activities are carried out (opening doors and windows), as well as maintaining individual hygiene (washing hands, using gel, sneezing etiquette) and cleaning facilities.
- In case of respiratory symptoms, avoid going to work, study or recreation and stop traveling to reduce the risk of infection. Seek a diagnosis and if confirmed as having COVID-19, self-isolate for at least seven days from the onset of symptoms or the first positive diagnostic test (whichever comes first) and return to activity when that period ends, always and when three days without fever (without taking medication for it).
- Do not engage in self-medication, monitor the development and recognize complications in time.