Movistar, Orange, Vodafone and Yoigo have not used most of the fiber recently

Over the years, things have changed quite a bit. According to the latest data published by the National Markets and Competition Commission, they are not such large operators Movistar, Orange, Vodafone or Yoigo those in charge of laying most of the fiber that has been extended across Spain in the last two years, from the first quarter of 2020 to the first quarter of 2022 to be exact.

Of the 100% new fiber that has been laid in Spain, these major operators they have only 35% new accesses Broadband NGN-type (optical or cable) reaching Spanish homes. So who installed the remaining 65% of fiber in our country?

Which operator has laid more fiber

During these last two data, according to CNMC data, of the 14.7 million new accesses applied by Spanish households, part thanks to digi, the fifth operator. And it is true that neither Movistar, nor Orange, nor Vodafone nor Yoigo managed to reach the figures of this company. Although, we have to take into account the effort he put in residential fiber wholesale companies (Fiberco) or local operators in rural areas.


Therefore, if we summarize the implementation carried out by Digi and other local operators, we can see how they contribute 9.14 million of the 14.17 million new accesses that were installed. This assumes 64.48% of all new implementations in these last two years. In summary, this is the data collected by the CNMC:

  • Digi: achieved 2.93 million new accesses, which corresponds to 20.7% of the total number.
  • Wholesale operators: 6.20 million new accesses, that is, they managed to achieve 43.7% of the total number of new hires. Among these companies we can find operators Avatel, Adamo or groups such as Lyntia Access or Fi Networks, as well as very local telecommunications operators such as Redi, Asteo or Rede Aberta.

Fiber deployment of the big four operators

In the case of Telefónica, i.e. Movistar, he managed to distribute 3.63 million of that total amount, for which it reaches 25.6%. Although, despite the fact that its network is the largest in Spain, reaching 27.71 million homes in March 2022, this data reflects that its growth is slowing down in front of the others. Something similar happened with Orange, which in these two years added 1.30 million, which is only 9.2% of the total amount.

installation of optical fibers

As for Vodafone, there is little to say, since they have paralyzed the implementation of fiber optics for a long time. And in the end, we stayed the MásMóvil group, in which we find Yoigo. This company has added 2.64 million hits in the last two years. However, even that increase owed to Euskaltelsince during the first quarter of 2020 it already had 2.56 million accesses.

In any case, if we consider the data only from this past year, Digi wins Movistar when it comes to the operator that has brought optical fiber to more Spanish homes in the last 12 months. It also clearly beats Orange and Vodafone.

Leave a Comment