David DePape: The attacker wanted to break Nancy Pelosi’s “knees” so that she could go to Congress in a wheelchair | International

The statement of the agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) who investigated the case clears up all doubts about the political motivation of the hammer attack by Paul Pelosi, the husband of Nancy Pelosi, the president of the American House of America. Representatives United last week. According to the affidavit, David DePape (42), the aggressor, was looking for Nancy Pelosi and intended to tie up her husband until she arrived, then hold her hostage and interrogate the politician, whom he saw as the “leader of the pack.” the lies of the Democratic Party. If she told him the “truth”, he would let her go, but he was sure he wouldn’t. If he “lied”, he would have broken his “knees”, so he would have had to go to Congress in a wheelchair and thereby show other congressmen that their actions have consequences.

The aggressor admitted these purposes in an interrogation recorded by San Francisco police agents. The Department of Justice charged DePape this Monday with assault and attempted kidnapping, and the San Francisco District Attorney also announced charges against him for attempted murder and other crimes.

DePape stated in his interrogation that he entered the house through a glass door, after using a hammer. Pelosi was in bed, and the attacker woke her up looking for Nancy Pelosi. Paul Pelosi replied that she was gone and that it would take a few days for her to return and asked how they could handle the situation and what she wanted to do.

The attacker also explained that he wanted to tie Pelosi up so he could sleep because he was tired. At that moment, he started taking shoelaces out of his pocket to tie up Pelosi’s husband, who was heading to another part of the house. He intended to go to the elevator, where the phone is, but the attacker stopped him and they returned to the bedroom together.

Pelosi was able to go to the bathroom and at that point call 911, the number for the police, according to the report, making it the most detailed account known to date. In the call, at 2:23 a.m. Thursday through Friday, Pelosi said a man named David, whom she did not know, was at the home and that he intended to wait for Nancy Pelosi.

“The fight against tyranny”

Join EL PAÍS to follow all the news and read without limits.


DePape explained during questioning that he did not leave after Pelosi’s call to the police because “like the American founders, he fought with the British against tyranny without surrender.” They went down to the front door. At 2:31 a.m., a San Francisco police officer who responded to the call arrived at Pelosi’s residence and knocked on the front door. Pelosi ran over and opened it. The officer saw that both men were holding a hammer in one hand and DePape was holding Pelosi’s forearm with the other hand.

The agents asked what was going on. DePape replied that everything was fine. Agents then asked both men to drop the hammer, and the gunman took control of it and swung it, striking Pelosi in the head, according to the report, which is consistent with what San Francisco police advanced. DePape explained under cross-examination that the behavior of Nancy Pelosi’s husband when he called the police caused him to “get punished instead.” Paul Pelosi had to undergo surgery for a fractured skull, but is expected to make a full recovery.

Officers immediately grabbed DePape, while Pelosi appeared to be lying unconscious on the ground. After the aggressor was immobilized, the agents took out his cell phone, cash and cards from his right pants pocket. DePape gave the agents his first and last name. After officers asked him if he had identification, he responded that it might be in a backpack on the back porch, explaining that his backpack was near the broken glass.

When officers removed DePape from Pelosi’s home, police body camera footage showed a glass door that appeared to be laminated glass, broken near the doorknob. The San Francisco Police Department found some shoelaces in Pelosi’s bedroom and in a hallway near the front door of Pelosi’s residence. In addition, law enforcement officials searched DePape’s backpack at Pelosi’s residence, finding, among other things, a roll of duct tape, white rope, another hammer, a pair of rubber and cloth gloves and a diary.

DePape is charged with one count of assault on an immediate family member of a United States officer with intent to retaliate against the officer in the performance of his or her official duties, which carries a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison. DePape is also charged with one count of attempted kidnapping of a United States official in the performance of his official duties, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

Although the charge of attempted murder is not mentioned by the Department of Justice, San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkings confirmed that she will also file charges for that crime and others. “This kind of violence has no place in San Francisco or in politics,” said Jenkings, who also confirmed that the attack appeared to be politically motivated.

An investigation revealed that DePape lived in the garage of a residence on Shasta Street in Richmond, California. The owner of the space confirmed that he has been staying in the garage for approximately two years. On October 29, law enforcement officers searched the garage and seized two hammers, a sword and a pair of rubber and cloth gloves. Agents also found evidence that DePape lived in the garage, including various documents.

Follow all international information in Facebook Mr Twitteror in our weekly newsletter.

Leave a Comment