Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will not dispute the results elections on Sunday, October 30, in which his opponent Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva won, reports O Globo.
At least that’s what he said in the talks he had in the Planalto Palace with several ministers, such as Paulo Guedes, Carlos França, Ciro Nogueira and Fabio Faria.
Bolsonaro has so far remained silent on the outcome of the election, making him the first president in Brazilian history not to be re-elected.
Read also: “I thought I was going to die”: Mexican woman told how she survived a human avalanche on Halloween in Seoul
According to O Glob, which quoted one of the ministers present at the talks, the head of state is expected to issue a statement showing that he will respect the election result. He did not set a deadline for doing so, despite ministers calling on him to make a speech today so that “the country can continue its path in peace”.
What the outgoing president clarified is that he does not plan to congratulate Lula on her victory. That point, he assured, is out of the question.
All the country’s top authorities, including some close to the far-right leader, came out in a stampede to recognize Lula’s victory, shortly after the electoral court announced the results.
Read also: VIDEO: They left the restaurant without paying the bill, and the waitress’s revenge went viral
They did not raise even a shadow of doubt, dissociating themselves from Bolsonaro’s conspiracy theories, who repeatedly questioned the legitimacy of the electoral process and insinuated that he would ignore the opinion of the polls in case of defeat, which in the end was very narrow (50.9% and 49 ,1%).
The president of the National Congress, Rodrigo Pacheco, was exhaustive in declaring that the results were “unquestionable” and that “President Bolsonaro will recognize it”, which puts even more pressure on the retired army captain, who has been silent since last night.
Pacheco appeared on the same Sunday in an unprecedented act attended by the President of the Higher Electoral Court (TSE) Alexandre de Moraes and a good part of the eleven judges of the Supreme Court, to whom Bolsonaro dedicated a wide variety of insults.
The head of the Lower House, Arthur Lira, and Attorney General Augusto Aras, two key figures for the continuity of Bolsonaro in power, who assumed office in 2019 and will leave on January 1, 2023, spoke similarly.
Read also: PHOTOS: Bridge collapse in India kills more than 140 people
“We will not give up on Brazil,” says Bolsonaro’s son after Lula’s victory
São Paulo. Brazilian Senator Flávio Bolsonaro, the eldest son of President Jair Bolsonaro, said Monday that he will not “give up” on Brazil and thanked voters for the support of his father, who was defeated in Sunday’s presidential election.
“Thank you to everyone who helped us save patriotism, who prayed, took to the streets, gave their sweat for a working country and gave Bolsonaro the biggest vote of his life!” said the senator, who did not state whether or not he recognized the former’s victory President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
Flávio Bolsonaro is the first member of the head of state’s family to make political statements after learning the results of Sunday’s election.
With information from EFE
Read also: Tragedy in Seoul: How a stampede happened in South Korea that killed 150 people
subscribe here to receive our daily news, opinion, weekend plans, Qatar 2022 newsletters and many more options directly to your email.